Parasite Prevention From Your Veterinarian in Winnipeg Manitoba
Parasites can make pets sick, and in some cases, pets can even die from parasitic infections. All pets are vulnerable to parasites, even pets who spend all their time indoors. At St. Norbert Animal Hospital in Winnipeg Manitoba, we help pet owners take care of their animal friends by teaching them the best parasite prevention tips and by recommending safe, effective parasite preventatives. As your veterinarian in Winnipeg Manitoba, we believe it’s our job to help pet owners provide the best care for their pets.
Parasite Prevention Tips from Your Vet in Winnipeg
Below are some of the best ways to prevent parasite infection in pets:
- Administer all pet preventatives from your pet’s vet in Winnipeg on the recommended schedule.
- Has your pet screened for parasites at his or her regular wellness exams?
- Watch your pet for signs of parasitic infection.
- Pick up all feces from the yard; do not allow pet feces to lay in the grass for long periods of time.
- Wash your hands after handling raw meat and after cleaning up feces in the yard.
- Keep sandboxes in the yard covered.
- Clean up yard waste and debris before your pet can run through the grass.
- Keep the grass trimmed.
- Limit your pet’s exposure to unfamiliar animals.
Different Types of Parasites in Winnipeg
There are many different types of parasites that affect pets in Winnipeg. Some of the most common forms of parasites in Winnipeg include:
- Fleas. Fleas live on the outside of the body and cause skin irritation. Your pet can be exposed to fleas through contact with infected animals and through exposure in the yard.
- Ticks. Ticks attach themselves to the body and suck the blood of the pet to which they are attached. Ticks can transmit Lyme disease and a variety of other diseases as well.
- Heartworms. This worm lives inside the heart and lungs and is transmitted to the body through mosquito bites. Heartworm affects cats and dogs. Monthly heartworm treatments can protect your pet from this problem.
- Roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms. These intestinal parasites can live in your pet for a long time before they begin to show symptoms. The best way to ensure that your pet is protected from intestinal parasites is to give your pet preventatives and to have your pet tested regularly.
- Blastomycosis. This fungal infection occurs when your pet inhales fungal spores. Blastomycosis can cause infection in the lungs that can spread to other parts of the body.
Contact Us for Pet Parasite Prevention in Winnipeg
As your pet’s animal hospital in Winnipeg, we provide treatment and preventatives for ticks, fleas, worms, fungi and other pests that can threaten your pet’s health. Contact St. Norbert Animal Hospital today to make an appointment for consultation and preventatives. Call us at 204-261-7376.